If you’re at a loose end after Christmas and the start of the New Year, don’t worry. Here’s our handy guide for some of the best events on at the Springfield Community Campus in Corsham, and a look ahead to 2015.
1. Get in shape at the Springfield Campus.
The New Year is a time for new resolutions, and January is traditionally when people look to work off the pounds gained over Christmas.
At Springfield Campus there is a state-of-the-art all-weather pitch, outdoor recreation space, tennis courts and an indoor climbing wall. And a new fitness suite, health suite and refurbished swimming pool are coming soon. So get 2015 off to a healthy start by booking now. Call 01249 468460 or send an email
2. Pick and Stitch Workshop.
If gym membership is too physical and you’re looking for something less physically intense, you can enjoy a friendly one day stitch workshop at Springfield on Saturday, 10 January.
Learn how to make items such as aprons, mats, pictures and bags. The £25 course covers the whole day’s tuition, an instruction sheet and coffee/tea refreshments. To book a workshop place call Pam Martin on 01823 698038 or email email@example.com
3. Become a volunteer.
Springfield Community Campus has been designed by the community, for the community, and there are many ways that people can get involved in the many events and activities. Help is always welcome. Click here to find out more.
4. Go to the new exhibition about Victorian explorers taking place at Springfield Community Campus on Sunday, 18 January.
Corsham Area Heritage and Bath Royal Literary and Scientific Institution (BRLSI) have entered into a partnership to bring the exhibiton to the campus. One of the Victorian explorers celebrated by this initiative is John Speke. Speke has a special local significance for both Bath and Corsham – he died under rather mysterious circumstances on the nearby Neston Park estate in 1864.
5. A brand new refurbished and extended fitness suite – bigger than the original plans – is set to open at Springfield in 2015. This includes a new health suite, with sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi and direct access to the pool and changing areas.
6. Also coming in 2015 is a refurbished swimming pool, complete with newly refurbished male and female changing rooms.
8. Join a community group – there are lots on offer at the campus from knitting groups to mother and baby groups and Kung Fu – something for everyone. For more details on what’s on at the campus get in touch.
9. Set yourself a challenge. You could climb a mountain by scaling the climbing wall multiple times to match the height of Snowdon. Or improve your IT skills – the campus offers a free weekly IT club in partnership with Wiltshire Online and volunteer students from The Corsham School. Come along on Wednesday afternoons from 2 – 4pm and learn how to send an email, browse the web or simply how to turn on your tablet computer.
10. Finally, if you haven’t been before, make 2015 the year you visit the new Springfield Campus in Corsham. It is the first Wiltshire Council campus, part of a county-wide project which will see new community campuses across Wiltshire. You will find it at:
Springfield Campus, Beechfield Road, Corsham, SN13 9DN
Phone: 01249 468460
Open Mon-Fri 7am until 10pm; Sat 8am until 6pm; Sun 8.30am until 9pm.