Help shape Wiltshire’s plans to 2036 : Wiltshire Local Plan Review
Wiltshire Council has a statutory duty to plan for the new homes, jobs and infrastructure needed to support Wiltshire’s communities while protecting the local environment and quality of life and to keep it’s plans up to date.
The Council is reviewing the Wiltshire Core Strategy adopted in January 2015 which sets out policies for the future development of the county over the period to 2026 and is used in the determination of planning applications. The review of the Wiltshire Core Strategy (renamed the Wiltshire Local Plan) will extend the period to which the plan relates to 2036.
This is your opportunity to inform the review of the local plan. The consultation starts on Tuesday 7 November 2017. All comments should be submitted by 5pm Tuesday 19 December 2017
The Council is seeking the views of the Wiltshire community on the scope of the review, including the preparation of a Joint Spatial Framework to consider how development across the Borough of Swindon and the Wiltshire Council area should take place. Consultation documents have been prepared to stimulate discussion and ask questions about the strategic issues to be considered in the review in relation to Chippenham, Salisbury and Trowbridge (as Wiltshire’s principal settlements) and the market towns named in the core strategy.
For example, in relation to Corsham, the consultation documents include information about the recent rate of house building (including affordable housing), employment change and environmental constraints. The Corsham profile acknowledges that:
- There is a significant ICT Business cluster with further potential to help deliver local economic growth.
- Town centre regeneration has the potential to extend the visitor and night time economy as well improve its accessibility.
- There is potential to reopen the rail station.
- The quality of the local road network is poor.
And asks the questions:
- How can the development of the town capitalise fully on its specialist business
- Should further growth be geared to support opening a rail station?
- What growth might attract more investment in the town centre?
All the consultation documents and supporting evidence will be available on the Councils web site from the 7th (http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/planning-policy-local-plan-review) and are available to view during normal opening hours at the Council’s main offices at Monkton Park (Chippenham), Bourne Hill (Salisbury), County Hall (Trowbridge) and at all Wiltshire Council libraries.