Cycle Wiltshire is a two day cycling event taking place on 3 and 4 May, 2014. The event which has been organised by Wiltshire Council in partnership with British Cycling aims to encourage people to keep fit and active, bring local people together and boost the local economy; the three aims of A Legacy for Wiltshire, the programme of events organised following the local interest and enthusiasm generated by the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
The weekend will consist of the Cycle Wiltshire Sportive mass participation event and Cycle Wiltshire Family Challenge on Saturday 3 May and British Cycling’s National Road Series elite cycle race starting in Wilton on Sunday 4 May, 2014. This event will be called the Cycle Wiltshire Grand Prix and will be one of only 8 similar elite races across the country and the only one in the south of England.
Cycle Wiltshire Sportive (mass participation event):
The Cycle Wiltshire Sportive event will start and finish at Five Rivers Leisure Centre, Salisbury. Three routes will be available targeting all levels of cyclist:
• Family adventure route of 20 miles – the route heads out towards Amesbury and returns through the Woodford Valley.
• 64 miles – this route goes via Tidworth, Ludgershall, Burbage, Pewsey, Upavon, Netheravon, Durrington, Bulford and Amesbury, before returning to Salisbury.
• 100 miles – this route is similar to the 64 mile route but takes in Great Bedwyn, Ramsbury and Marlborough before heading towards Calne and returning to Salisbury.
The Cycle Wiltshire Family Challenge will also be featured – a circular 1 – 1.5km route around the village site for young children and their families. A village style area will be set up to include cycling display stands, and additional cycling activities to entertain spectators and participants.
Cycle Wiltshire Grand Prix – Premier Calendar Elite Race:
British Cycling’s Premier Calendar Grand Prix series elite race will start and finish in Wilton and include around 100 riders from 10 – 12 professional teams. The 100 mile route will circuit numerous parishes, including Burcombe, Barford St Martin, Compton Chamberlayne, Fovant, Ebbesbourne Wake, Bishopstone & Broadchalke. There will be four laps of 17 miles over the longer element of the circuit, followed by a final 6 laps of a 5 mile circuit extending to Barford St. Martin. Communities are being encouraged to line the route to cheer on some of the world’s top cyclists.
So why not make a weekend of it?
– To find out more about the Cycle Wiltshire Weekend – www.wiltshire.gov.uk/cyclewiltshire
– To register for the Cycle Wiltshire Sportive go to – www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/104178/Cycle-Wiltshire-Sportive
– If your community is interested in engaging with the Cycle Wiltshire weekend, please contact Tamzin, Earley, Cycle Wiltshire Co-ordinator in the first instance: Email: email@example.com, Tel: 07824 414507