Small businesses with rateable values up to £12,000 may be eligible for a reduction in rates.
• All single occupied properties with rateable values £6,000 or less will receive a reduction of 100%. (until 31st March 2015)
• All single occupied properties with rateable values between £6,001-£12,000 will receive relief on a sliding scale – 1% for every £60 rateable value until £12,000. If your rateable value is more than £12,000 you will not be entitled to a discount but if it is below £17,999 you will not have to pay the supplement levied for the relief.
• If a ratepayer has additional businesses with rateable values of less than £2,599, relief can still be applied to the main property only, if the combined rateable value of all the properties is less than £17,999.
• All businesses with rateable values of more than £17,999 will pay a small supplement to fund the relief.
The council will calculate the exact amount of your discount for you.
The Government is giving funding to local authorities so that they can provide a discount worth up to £1,000 a year – in both 2014-15 and 2015-16 – to retail premises (hereditaments) with a rateable value of up to £50,000, Wiltshire Council will award up to £1000 of Discretionary Rate Relief to occupied retail premises .
Properties that will benefit from the relief will be occupied properties with a rateable value of £50,000 or less, that are wholly or mainly being used as shops, restaurants, cafes and drinking establishments.
Properties which are not eligible for the relief.
There are some business uses that the government does not consider to be retail use, under this relief scheme.
• Financial services (e.g. banks, building societies, cash points, bureau de change, payday lenders, betting shops, pawn brokers)
• Other services (e.g. estate agents, letting agents, employment agencies)
• Medical services (e.g. vets, dentists, doctors, osteopaths, chiropractors)
• Professional services (e.g. solicitors, accountants, insurance agents/ financial advisers, tutors)
• Post office sorting office
The local authority is able to consider their eligibility on an individual basis under their local scheme.
If you think you qualify please either contact Wiltshire Council’s business rate section on 01249 706290 or go online at http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/businesssupportandadvice.htm